downloading the sw to openservo 2.1

Discussions relating to development and use of the OpenServo hardware.

Moderators: jharvey, Secondary Admin, Admins

mog123

downloading the sw to openservo 2.1

Post by mog123 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey, I Just got some openservo 2.1 pcbs made from a coupon i won in a contest and now I want to know what to do next. I haven't assembled the boards yet. I just wanna be sure. Do I need to just bootstrap the servo (via avrdude - my preferred avr tool) and I'm good to go if I want to control the servo from another avr/stm32 via twi/i2c? From my understanding the osif is needed only if I want to control the openservo from a pc. Can someone please sort this out for me?

Thanks!

jharvey
co-admin

Post by jharvey » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:30 am

Hello and welcome along. Sorry I haven't checked the forum for a while.

I seem to recall there is a thread in here somewhere that talks about programming an openservo. I forget exactly how to do it, I seem to recall the initial firmware was installed with AVRDude, then you could bootstrap after that.

ginge
Site Admin

Post by ginge » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:29 am

Jared is correct.

Once assembled, the connector on the OpenServo doubles as a standard AVR ISP programmer.

If you follow this page, you should be able to build, flash and run the OpenServo hardware

http://openservo.com/StepByStep

mog123

Post by mog123 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:29 pm

So basically I need to get/build the OSIF If I want to reprogram the openservo?

jharvey
co-admin

Post by jharvey » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:15 pm

You need a programmer, it doesn't have to be the OSIF, however the OSIF is one of the lower cost programmers out there, so if you don't have on, that's likely a good approach. The OSIF also includes headers and such that make it a bit easier to program the Open Servo board.