How to program OpenServo with AVR Studio and AVRISP MKII

Discussions relating to development and use of the OpenServo hardware.

Moderators: jharvey, Secondary Admin, Admins

florianfreitag

How to program OpenServo with AVR Studio and AVRISP MKII

Post by florianfreitag » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi at all,

I am a german student and I try to program the OpenServo Board with AVR Studio and AVRISP MKII via ISP. This should work because some guys before me done that. But they never wrote a documentation. :(. So I have the hardware and all cables and the pins are wired correctly. But when I want to program with AVR Studio I always become an error message:
ISP Mode Error

A problem occurred when executing the command. Make sure that you are using the correct programming method. Current mode is ISP. See the command output for more info. ...
The LED of the avrisp mkII is green so it seems all perfect.

Does anybody know why it doesn't work? Or does anybody also uses this configuration?

Sorry for my bad english!!! :)

Greetings

Florian

Kampower

Post by Kampower » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:07 pm

Sorry I did like to help but also a novice. But I will like to know how you finally get this to work.

Hoping you get helpful response for this post.

florianfreitag

Post by florianfreitag » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:39 pm

The solution was not to use the AVRISP MKII. Instead of that I'm now using a JTAG ICE II via SPI. But that only works if you disable your Debugwire via cmd:

Code: Select all

jtagiceii.exe -c USB -d atmega168 -W
But may be there is an solution with the avr mkII.

kbb

Post by kbb » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:46 pm

florianfreitag wrote:The solution was not to use the AVRISP MKII. Instead of that I'm now using a JTAG ICE II via SPI. But that only works if you disable your Debugwire via cmd:

Code: Select all

jtagiceii.exe -c USB -d atmega168 -W
But may be there is an solution with the avr mkII.
As a test I just successfully programmed an OpenServo V3 via the ISP interface on an AVRISP mkII using AVR Studio 4.18 SP2 on Windows, so it can work. The wiring is pretty obvious. Assuming that nothing is broken, the only other things I can think of that might produce a message like that with out providing any other clues are:

Firmware: I do not know if it matters, but AVR Studio 4.18 SP2 has the latest firmware for the AVRISP mkII.

VCC: needs to be supplied with the same voltage that the target is running at. I hook this up to a 5V supply on my “servo patch panelâ€￾ as I know mine have 5V regulators.

DWEN fuse: debugWIRE has to be disabled (the factory default condition); otherwise the ATmega168 will not respond to the ISP control signals.