OpenStepper - Phenostream

Read me first if you are new to OpenServo!

Moderators: jharvey, Secondary Admin, Admins

cerickson

OpenStepper - Phenostream

Post by cerickson » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:05 pm

I’ve just come-up with an OpenServo spin-off that uses a geared stepper motor rather than a servo. I’m interested in any feedback the community may have to offer.

hyperkinetic

Bigger stepper?

Post by hyperkinetic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm

What a cool idea!

Was just wondering if you're thinking and/or can be pursuaded, or maybe encouraged is more of the right word, to continue it on to a larger stepper. I'd like to see something than can rival some of the bad boy servos like the 5990TG ~ 400oz in range.

ginge
Site Admin

Post by ginge » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi and welcome!

There are plans to create a large OpenServo that can drive a 3A stepper motor or 4A DC motor. Stay tuned!

guru

Post by guru » Mon May 12, 2008 5:33 pm

I'm not sure why you would want to gear a stepper motor. Stepper motors provide more torque at lower speeds. A gear box provides more torque at lower speeds...did I just repeat myself?

On the flip side, motors provide thier max torque at max speed, so gearing them is desirable as you get the lower speed you desire but have the motor outputing it's max torque which translates to mega torque on the gear box output.

There was a discussion about this at cnczone.com...in the cnc world steppers are rarely geared but instead are directly coupled to the work.

In any case, I am all for openstepper. Now we have open source motor and stepper controllers...awesome! I could see using openstepper design on my cnc machine for closing the loop.