Wiki Spam & upgrade

Comments, suggestions, complaints and compliments regarding the OpenServo web site.

Moderators: jharvey, Secondary Admin, Admins

ginge
Site Admin

Wiki Spam & upgrade

Post by ginge » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:22 pm

Due to a crazy amount of wiki spam, I have done a huge delete of pages. I have removed 1700 spam pages, but may also have accidentally deleted some "good" pages.

If you notice a missing page, let me know and I will restore from a backup.

Looking to the future, we will be upgrading the current moinmoin wiki to the latest version which has much better spam protection.

Merry Xmas all!

guru

Post by guru » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:50 pm

I was wondering how the wiki stayed Spam free...now I know it is through Brute Force! :D

Those spammers are bastards! They are all over my site too. I had a guestbook until the spammers were the most prominent posters. They said they like my site a lot though...lol

C

ginge
Site Admin

Post by ginge » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:30 am

Hi all,

Back to square 1 again. I had to delete 7000+ pages this time. I have spend most of the Easter weekend deleting this crap, and I am not a happy man. THis is time I could have spent making robots, or even better, writing OpenServo code.

I find it amazing how many pages are created in a week... It was only 1 month ago I did this last.

Well, this time is the last. I have tried anti spam for moinmoin, recaptcha and manual removal. Nothing seems to slow these guys down.

Apologies to everyone, but the wiki is now invite only. By all means create yourself an account, but let one of the current wiki editors (me, Andy, Colin) know so we can add you some write priviliges.

Sorry for this irritation, but thew Chinese spammers have ruined it for the rest of us.

Happy Easter!